wovel
Mar 30, 01:45 PM
Agreed.... Macs had windows long before PC's had "Windows". I think that if one can be a trademark then the other surely can. Personally, I think that if there were no such precedence, then neither should be allowed as a trademark. But terms like this have been allowed as trademarks for quite some time. Microsoft should just drop it -- what is their vested interest here anyway? There are a thousand things they can call their application store.
Microsoft's interest is obvious. They want to create marketplace confusion to aid in the sale of an inferior product. You know, the thing trademarks were designed to protect against..
You say App Store, everyone on the planet who does nut have their head shoved up their backside only thinks of one thing. Before Apple made the App store, no one thought of anything at all when you said it...
Microsoft's interest is obvious. They want to create marketplace confusion to aid in the sale of an inferior product. You know, the thing trademarks were designed to protect against..
You say App Store, everyone on the planet who does nut have their head shoved up their backside only thinks of one thing. Before Apple made the App store, no one thought of anything at all when you said it...
aristotle
Nov 13, 05:03 PM
Serious, dude. You seem to be like those people who have their fingers in their ears singing "la, la, la, la, la I can't hear you".
Apple is the copyright holder of those images and they provide the right to use those images in Applications running on macs via the API on a Mac running OS X. Rogue Amoeba was taking those images and distributing them via a WiFi network to another device where they have not licensed the display of those specific icons. This is really no different than if you licensed icons for use in your desktop application and then decided to use it in a few websites or a client server app without clearing it with the licenser first.
Rogue Amoeba could avoided all of those trouble by supplying their own icons. It also appears from the screenshot that they were taking two icons from OS X and superimposing them on each other.
There is one possibility that perhaps not been considered. What if Apple does not own the exclusive copyright to those images and has instead licensed them for a specific use within OS X on a mac and any other use would be a violation of that license?
Apple is the copyright holder of those images and they provide the right to use those images in Applications running on macs via the API on a Mac running OS X. Rogue Amoeba was taking those images and distributing them via a WiFi network to another device where they have not licensed the display of those specific icons. This is really no different than if you licensed icons for use in your desktop application and then decided to use it in a few websites or a client server app without clearing it with the licenser first.
Rogue Amoeba could avoided all of those trouble by supplying their own icons. It also appears from the screenshot that they were taking two icons from OS X and superimposing them on each other.
There is one possibility that perhaps not been considered. What if Apple does not own the exclusive copyright to those images and has instead licensed them for a specific use within OS X on a mac and any other use would be a violation of that license?
Machead III
Sep 3, 09:25 AM
Well, I just sold my iMac, so I'm coming to you all from the tiny screen of my Nokia N70.
I'm looking to aquire a MacBook. Here in the UK we have our iPod rebate deal until mid-October, which will effectively knock the price of a Nano on eBay off the price of my machine.
What would you say, will there be MacBooks before mid-October? I don't want to wait any longer than that. Should I bother waiting or buy now?
I'm looking to aquire a MacBook. Here in the UK we have our iPod rebate deal until mid-October, which will effectively knock the price of a Nano on eBay off the price of my machine.
What would you say, will there be MacBooks before mid-October? I don't want to wait any longer than that. Should I bother waiting or buy now?
vi2867
Oct 12, 01:55 PM
http://www.exit42design.com/stuffDirectory/redNano.jpg
Just make the click wheel black, and the controls red, and you got yourself the New U2 iPod Nano!
The metallic candy apple red makes it look good...
Just make the click wheel black, and the controls red, and you got yourself the New U2 iPod Nano!
The metallic candy apple red makes it look good...
macfan881
Sep 13, 11:19 PM
I'm calling for another invite to go out w/ in the next 2 weeks saying "One More Thing" and we'll get the phone and the true vPod
one question any word on who will suport this COpany wise like Verizion cingular nextell etc or will this start off like The Espn phone?
one question any word on who will suport this COpany wise like Verizion cingular nextell etc or will this start off like The Espn phone?
mbrannon47
Apr 22, 01:59 AM
I think it's Eddy Cue not Eddie.
AidenShaw
Sep 9, 10:01 AM
Good - now we won't have to wade through any arguments with fanbois who claim that the iMac is the "most powerful desktop on the planet"....
:D
:D
GGJstudios
Apr 12, 07:28 PM
Can anybody running Leopard confirm what users/groups have write privileges to Safari, Mail, & etc.
Just want to clarify if the permissions on that Leopard system have been modified?
Leopard:
281058 281059 281060
Snow Leopard:
281066
Just want to clarify if the permissions on that Leopard system have been modified?
Leopard:
281058 281059 281060
Snow Leopard:
281066
OdduWon
Sep 26, 11:25 AM
i'm sure glad i didn't renew my contract with cingular yet now i can use my upgrade to get the new telepod! :D
MarcelV
Sep 5, 04:59 AM
:confused:
What is this....
www.apple.com/movies
comes up with
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /movies on this server.
What might this mean
:eek: I knew it, i knew it......... someone would find this link. It's an old link. old like in several years.
What is this....
www.apple.com/movies
comes up with
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /movies on this server.
What might this mean
:eek: I knew it, i knew it......... someone would find this link. It's an old link. old like in several years.
iScott428
Mar 29, 12:46 PM
Have I just done the impossible? :D
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/5492/excels.th.png (http://img215.imageshack.us/i/excels.png/) http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/8916/wordc.th.png (http://img140.imageshack.us/i/wordc.png/)
Ahh this is great! Seriously thank you and there must have been an update since I have last tried to do this, which has been a while back now.
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/5492/excels.th.png (http://img215.imageshack.us/i/excels.png/) http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/8916/wordc.th.png (http://img140.imageshack.us/i/wordc.png/)
Ahh this is great! Seriously thank you and there must have been an update since I have last tried to do this, which has been a while back now.
BornAgainMac
Sep 9, 06:36 AM
It wouldn't have been worth it to wait for these unless you wanted the 24 inch display (and Firewire 800) with your iMac. The iMac really looks like a good switcher machine that gives Pro performance to the masses.
c-Row
Aug 24, 01:25 AM
MS [...] come up with [...] radically new way [...] that actually works
Whenever did something like this happen?! :confused: ;)
Whenever did something like this happen?! :confused: ;)
hobo.hopkins
Apr 20, 10:48 AM
so the program can not find the file. Does that mean my iPhone isnt tracking me?
I was just about to post the same thing; the application says that it couldn't find the consolidated.db file. I even tried syncing my iPhone once more and it still didn't help. An interesting note though - I own a Verizon iPhone. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
I was just about to post the same thing; the application says that it couldn't find the consolidated.db file. I even tried syncing my iPhone once more and it still didn't help. An interesting note though - I own a Verizon iPhone. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
alent1234
Apr 29, 03:22 PM
that was in 2005 when it first came out. by now they are on a revision that costs a lot less to make and they have sold a lot of games and XBL subs to make up for it. back when the 360 first came out it had an attach rate of 8 games, higher than Sony. figure at $10 licensing per game that's $80 per console on average plus XBL. so i don't know if the isuppli numbers are accurate.
a lot of companies in the console market have been doing it like this for years. take a loss the first year or two, sell break even or small profit later in the cycle and make it up on the games. except for nintendo which is doing the opposite. make money early in the cycle and start losing money at the end of the cycle.
2011 the division will probably turn a profit of $3 to $4 billion or so due to kinect. 2010 was also profitable. if the Nokia partnership works out 2012 will be even better.
a lot of companies in the console market have been doing it like this for years. take a loss the first year or two, sell break even or small profit later in the cycle and make it up on the games. except for nintendo which is doing the opposite. make money early in the cycle and start losing money at the end of the cycle.
2011 the division will probably turn a profit of $3 to $4 billion or so due to kinect. 2010 was also profitable. if the Nokia partnership works out 2012 will be even better.
ChazUK
Mar 30, 01:43 PM
It is a market that sells apps. You know, and app market. No need for them to describe it as an App Store since that description would not fly over anyone's head.
But it is an "app store".
But it is an "app store".
Ugg
Sep 19, 06:30 PM
I think the big problem with rentals is that Netflix has it wrapped up right now. You can get a ton of movies for a monthly fee, and I don't see any way an online service can compete with that, at least not without losing money on it.
If you know your best effort won't compare well to Netflix, does it really make sense to try and do it anyway? Or is it smarter just to stay out of such a cutthroat marketplace?
Netflix is great, but it's not ideal. They offer too few foreign movies. The wait times for new releases can be phenomenal and some movies that they should be stocking, they aren't.
The only real future for online movies is by renting them. I'd pay up to $3 per rental but have no desire to keep a movie. If I want to watch it again, I'll rent it again.
If you know your best effort won't compare well to Netflix, does it really make sense to try and do it anyway? Or is it smarter just to stay out of such a cutthroat marketplace?
Netflix is great, but it's not ideal. They offer too few foreign movies. The wait times for new releases can be phenomenal and some movies that they should be stocking, they aren't.
The only real future for online movies is by renting them. I'd pay up to $3 per rental but have no desire to keep a movie. If I want to watch it again, I'll rent it again.
THX1139
Jul 19, 08:26 PM
http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-6096192.html?part=rss&tag=6096192&subj=news
Cloverton and Kentsfield coming 4th quarter 2006
So we will see them introduced at MWSF 2007. That's a no-brainer that we knew was coming.
Cloverton and Kentsfield coming 4th quarter 2006
So we will see them introduced at MWSF 2007. That's a no-brainer that we knew was coming.
prady16
Oct 12, 01:33 PM
Check out DeaPeaJay's mockup at AppleInsider. Me want.
http://www.exit42design.com/stuffDirectory/redNano.jpg
Looks good!
http://www.exit42design.com/stuffDirectory/redNano.jpg
Looks good!
ChrisTX
Apr 28, 09:05 PM
Wow, Apple is pretty much unstoppable now. And if anyone tries to get in their way, they've got a $60b war chest.
To be fair I read that it is now $65b but who's counting. :D
To be fair I read that it is now $65b but who's counting. :D
macfan70
Sep 5, 02:42 PM
Well, what ever comes out, I hope it's not some upgrade or revamp. I wish Apple really does Think Different and releases new hardware that will make us say " That really is something new. "
But, updates are always welcome.;)
But, updates are always welcome.;)
centauratlas
Mar 29, 11:46 AM
Exactly. The sad thing is that people pay them to predict something 4 years out like this. In a vibrant market like this, there is no way predictions 4 years out will be right. Maybe 1 year could be close.
I shall come back to this prediction 4 years from now, and laugh at how dumb the prediction is.
I shall come back to this prediction 4 years from now, and laugh at how dumb the prediction is.
colmaclean
Mar 22, 01:51 PM
I guess native HDMI input functionality will still be a no-no. I know you can do it with 3rd party adapters, but that's a croc!
HiRez
Sep 19, 11:14 PM
Why is Apple always cutting corners? They get so close to great things, but not close enough.I sadly kind of agree with this sentiment, and I love your avatar icon! :)
0 comments:
Post a Comment